allroutes.to/greensboro

Greensboro, Vermont

|Home |Contents |Maps |Panoramas |Towns |Dining |Lodging |Campgrounds |Calendar |Chambers of Commerce |Search Engines |Real Estate |Services |Shopping |Sponsors |Routes |Guestbook |Weather |Advertising and Site Hosting |News |

If you arrived here stuck in someone else's frames...use this link to break free!

E-Mail: webmaster@allroutes.to

 
 

Bien Fait Fruitcakes - Mail Order Delicious Fruitcakes and Unique Gifts

 

Wild Oats Woodworking - Custom Woodworking and Architectural Interiors

     




The Tunnel

A barn in Greensboro next to the Millers Thumb.

The weather vane on top of the barn.

 

Windsurfing on Caspian Lake

 
   
   
   


Some Greensboro History

   
The information here came from a sign in front of the Greensboro Historical Society.

The Bayley-Hazen Road, ordered by George Washington for an anticipated invasion of Canada, reached Greensboro in 1779. In 1781 a blockhouse on the west side of Caspian Lake was attacked by Indians who killed two young scouts, Constant Bliss and Moses Sleeper, and took two others prisoner.
Greensboro was almost self-sufficient with 4 sawmills, several gristmills, a carriage shop, sash and blind factory and 15 schools. By 1880 the village had 3 stores, grist mill, butter tub factory, blacksmith shop, cabinet shop, Caspian Lake Hotel, town hall and about 30 homes. Greensboro Bend had a railroad station, 3 stores, a hotel, Tolman, Simpson & Co's mills, a blacksmith shop and 15 homes.
1781 - The town was chartered by Harris Colt and 61 associates. 1870 - Group of Irish settled in town.
1787 - Rev. Thomas Tolman and T. Wood camped on the shores of Caspian. 1873 - Railroad came to the Bend.
1788 - At the forst meeting of proprieters Timothy Stanley lost a foot to frostbite. 1880 - Methodist Church organized.
1789 - Ashbel Shepard family spent winter alone in Greensboro. 1885 - French Canadians began settling.
1790 - Birth of William Shepard, first white child in Orleans County. 1890s - Influx of summer campers bagan.
1790 - 1791 - Joseph and Timothy Stanley built first blacksmith shop, sawmill and gristmill. Hinman Road begun.. 1892 - St. Michael's Catholic Church organized in the Bend.
1793 - First town meeting. 1900 - Portuguese began work in sawmill and box factory. Greensboro Free Library given to the town by Henry Tolman.
1794 - First school taught by Anna Hill in Shepard barn. 1907 - Caspian Grange organized.
1795 - 23 families in town, 108 persons. 1908 - Telephone brought to town.
1800 - Strong and Hale opened first store. 1911 - High school and graded school built.
1804 - Congregational Church organized. First Post Office opened. 1914 - Village water system installed by A. B. DeBrune.
1810 - Runaway Pond. 1917 - Electricity came to Greensboro.
1814 - First Sabbath School in Vermont began in Greensboro. 1921 - Greensboro Fire District No. 1 organized.
1831 and 1838 - Fires destroyed much of the village. 1929 - Federation of Congregational and Presbyterian Churches.
1830 - 1850 - Scotch families arrived. 1933 - Greensboro Association formed.
1845 - Presbyterian Church organized. 1935 - Greensboro Hospital incorporated.
1860 - Peak of Greensboro's population - 1065 1968 - High school closed.
  1975 - New nursing home opened.
  1976 - Northern Counties Health Center opened. Bicentennial celebrated in Greensboro.

|Home |Contents |Maps |Panoramas |Towns |Dining |Lodging |Campgrounds |Calendar |Chambers of Commerce |Search Engines |Real Estate |Services |Shopping |Sponsors |Routes |Guestbook |Weather |Advertising and Site Hosting |News |

If you arrived here stuck in someone else's frames...use this link to break free!

E-Mail: webmaster@allroutes.to

Copyright 1999 by Ed Sanders.